Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 12:13:14 +0100
J"org Knappen wrote:

>This is going really off topic now, but of course there are other
>possibilities to do emphasis with fraktur than letterspacing...

  I think there are two questions here: If the LaTeX standard should be
descriptive, one might say that letterspacing does occur on occasion.

  The second question is the desirability of it: The idea with ligatures,
etc, is to make each word to be typeset as one entity (an experienced
reader reads whole words, not letter by letter), and that goes down the
drain with letterspacing (which tends to force you to read letter by
letter).

  Hans Aberg