Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:12:50 +0200
From: Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Lars,

> I must say I'm shocked that you're still using \verb in indices. This is
> certainly one of the cruftier parts of doc.sty, and generally something
> which is just begging for throwing weird errors at users down the line.
>
> xdoc2.dtx shows how one can cleanly avoid this. It may "only" be half
> the age of doc.sty, but surely some of you should have looked at it. ;-)

l3doc is not a new version of doc.sty. It is a quick and dirty class
file to produce documentation for the expl3 code. It should certainly be
revised (and probably completely rewritten) but until now it wasn't at
all our focus. It wasn't meant for general consumption or wider use and
it just worked as far as it had to (or a little less)

If somebody steps up to do a redesign and proper implementation that
would certainly a good thing, but as the saying goes, you can fight only
so many battles at the same time and this wasn't one. It only came up
because Joel started using this class for his own code and finding
things we never encountered or didn't really felt bother by (so far)