Henri Menke <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Jul 2020 14:00:53 +1200
Dear list,

Inspired by issue #900 on the PGF/TikZ repo [1], I'd like to kick off
the discussion on how to correctly integrate the new hook management
system into existing LaTeX package codebases.

In a naïve adaptation, two code branches would be maintained, with and
without the new hook management.  This is quite tedious for maintainers,
especially when trying to integrate this properly into existing CI.

For me as PGF/TikZ maintainer it is also of paramount importance to
avoid anything similar to the oberdiek-split and iftex-merge
clusterfucks.  Back then I had to fix the CI every other day without any
guidance whatsoever from upstream, which was a massive sink of my time.

Obviously there has to be some transition at some point.  Hence I'm
asking how to properly integrate and coordinate the migration this time.

Kind regards,
Henri

[1] https://github.com/pgf-tikz/pgf/issues/900