Sender:
From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 20:43:13 +0100
> See at http://charts.unicode.org/ select the `Latin Extended-B'
> and look at page 7 of 8, second column down: `Additions for Romanian':
>
> 0218 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH COMMA BELOW = 0053 S 0326 ,
> 0219 LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH COMMA BELOW  = 0073 s 0326 ,
> 021A LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T WITH COMMA BELOW  = 0054 T 0326 ,
> 021B LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH COMMA BELOW  = 0074 t 0326 ,

i think these things _do_ appear in the free unicode fonts that come
with omega.

looks easy enough to do.  something along the lines of:

\def\ucomma#1{\ooalign{#1\crcr\hidewidth\raise-.25ex\hbox{\tiny,}\hidewidth}}

usage: \ucomma{S}  (i don't think this is a terribly good name,
but...)

this kills hyphenation of any word it appears in.  whatever, it goes
some way towards what's needed, but the computer modern comma looks
most definitely wrong here: some differential scaling might improve it
(using the graphics package, not difficult, but slightly tedious).

a general-use command would use relative scaling of the comma
(rather than the absolute-scaling \tiny), and possibly differential
scaling of the glyph so as to get the squashed-up look we see in the
unicode font tables.  and the name would be better.

personally, i wouldn't want to see a kernel command offering such a
cobbled-up thing (it could appear in a babel package for romanian
support, though).  the proper solution would involve some real font
design, i think.