Sender:
From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:11:28 +0100
Hello,

Having asked about keys, my next question is package options.  I assume
that the plan is to stick with the user experience of doing

\usepackage[options]{package}

As you probably all know, the current kernel clobbers spaces in
<options>, and also expands things.  So there are a couple of fixes for
this, but using them is awkward (they need to be loaded before anything
that needs them).

I was wondering if it might be an idea to explore how LaTeX3 will handle
this.  My suggestion would be to create a testing package (lets call it
l3options), which loads expl3 and sets up some new, experimental option
handling things:

\UseExplPackage
\ProvidesExplOption

This would allow higher-level experimental stuff to be written and
tested, with the expectation that the LaTeX3 kernel would then support
everything "out of the box".  By completely bypassing the current
\usepackage routine, you'd avoid any issues with spaces and so on.  For
testing, this all seems acceptable.

I'd also suggest that the keyval options should work from the word go.
That of course depends on how keys are handled in the first place!