Sender:
From:
Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:08:14 +0100
Achim writes:

 > o hyphenation template. This template should IMHO be dropped. The only
 >   important parameters it sets are (ex)hyphenpenalty which can be moved
 >   to the linebreak template.

I agree that the (ex)hyphenpenalty should perhaps be moved to the linebreak
template as they essentially are parameters that guide the linebreaking. On
the other hand Rune Kleveland made the correct remark that there are
extensions to TeX that take the hyphenation methods further and do perhaps
warrant to keep those parameters separate for easier replacement.

However, whether the template should be fully abandomed seems to me a
different question: i guess one has to ask whether allowing/disallowing
hyphenation is a layout design question in its own right. That is, is it
likely that one wants to change the galley state in this respect without
changing other aspects of the galley? If this is the case then separating it
out makes some sense since otherwise one has to provide a lot of duplicate
template instances which only differ in that aspect.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Perhaps there is no need for a separation in
the end.