Timothy Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 04:37:39 +0000
On Wednesday 22 January 2003 00:27, Vladimir wrote:

> e.g. Shafarevich groups in algebraic geometry are often denoted with
> capital cyrillic letter sha - not only in russian literature!

Yes, I'd forgotten that.
I was just trying to work out how I'd do that in LaTeX,
and the best I could come up with was
================================
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage[russian]{babel}
\newcommand{\shaf}{\operatorname{\text{\CYRSH}}}

\begin{document}

The group $\shaf$.

\end{document}

As a matter of interest,
what would be the kosher way to do this?

But my serious point is that it seems to me
more sensible to use a macro-name like \shaf
rather than arranging for a single input character
to create this output.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: [log in to unmask]