Markus Kohm <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:55:55 +0200
Am Sonntag, 6. Juli 2003 18:43 schrieb Frank Mittelbach:
> if one is actually seriously looking at base language changes one has to
> stop worrying about compatibility at one point or one will have to deal
> with all kind of special cases forever. and a new engine would probably be
> subtly different anyway, so for processing old pain tex files one better
> use a real TeX.

So, why is there a LaTeX2.09-compatibility mode at LaTeX2e?

> but it it is not going to make the internal engine cleaner if all that kind
> of stuff is carried along forever

We do not talk about forever. But for some time ExTeX should be compatible
with TeX. Without compatibility we'll get an problem with acceptance. If we
would be sure, that you will use ExTeX for LaTeX3, we may remove obsolete
commands you don't want to have. But as long as we do not know this, it's
better to stay compatible.

Gruß
Markus