From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 23:37:01 +1030
Hello,

The expl3 modules defines data types for working with "lists of
tokens". To summarise, a "token list pointer" is the name given to a
control sequence that is a macro with some contents that takes no
arguments.

E.g., "\foo" is a tlp here: \def\foo{abc}

By contrast, a "token register" is the name given to what I'd usually
call a "toks", which has the property of being a little more lenient
with the types of tokens it will accept as contents.

The problem that I'm trying to solve is what to call the contents of
these two distinct beasts. In the documentation in expl3, both toks
and tlps are described to contain "token lists", but that's clearly
not the best state of affairs.

I think "token list" describes the contents of a toks rather well (as
it should!) but I'm at a lost what to call "a token list that doesn't
contain unescaped # characters". Would "character list" work?

Will