Sender:
From:
Javier Bezos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 17:46:05 +0100
Hi all,

Sorry for this late answer.

> it seems to me that this all boils down to "i want to ensure that all is
> Type1" so that i get proper pdf files. or am i wrong?

That could be a possible reason, but very likely some people could
find other reasons. But yes, that is what I was thinking about.
More generally, the automatic selection should be done taking
into account possible restrictions/features defined by the user.
(Which restrictions/features can be set is to be studied.)

It should be noted, however, that text also contains symbols and that
usually we are using _two_ encodings -- if we say \defaultencoding{T1},
\textdagger is taken from cmsy, which is the default symbol font (OMS).
So we have another problem when selecting an encoding -- in fact
we must select two.

Instead of multilingual documents, I would rather speak of multiscript
documents, since imo this concept is more important. Of course, different
languages use the latin script in different ways, but when there are
languages using diffent scripts there are additional problems. For
example, in a text containing both latin and cyrillic scripts the
following line of code might not make sense:

\usepackage{times}
\usepackage{textcomp}

Is times applied to both scripts? What happens if for some reason
I like cyrillic times and latin palatino? Which symbol fonts are used?
And if there is no times font for cyrillic? Or there is no symbol
font? If you use latin with tibetan, things are more complicated
because tibetan doesn't understand what a times font is, and again,
what happens if a certain script requires two or more metrics and/or
encodings?

Finally, it remains the problem of what happens if people dislike
the default settings. But that is unavoidable...

Javier
Javier Bezos              | TeX y tipografia
jbezos at wanadoo dot es  | http://perso.wanadoo.es/jbezos/
CervanTeX   http://apolo.us.es/CervanTeX/CervanTeX.html