Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 12:24:04 +0000
 > while the author
 > usually provides an almost completely typeset manuscript,
 > publishers should _gladly_ accept anything the author is prepared to
 > deliver instead of imposing specific requirements.

the problem is that the author "provides an almost completely
*non-portable* typeset manuscript". (my **).  sadly, this is not what
is needed in the world of electronic publishing. the cost of cleaning
up that "typeset manuscript" is really very high.

yes, of course publishers screw you. its a bargain, we screw you, you
(the academic world) get to play games about tenure based on
publication rate. if you drop that absurdity, you can free yourselves
from the Faustian pact with the publishers.

Sebastian