From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:17:23 +1030
Hi Heiko,

Good points, thanks for bringing them up.

On 26/01/2010, at 8:34 PM, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> Would it be possible to put older revisions to the LaTeX distribution
> and add these links to http://www.latex-project.org/lppl/?
> Otherwise there are many work that refers to a license that is not
> officially available.

I've updated the web page.
If I get the go-ahead, I'm happy to add the older files to the LaTeX distribution as well.

> Also if the license notice doesn't add a revision number
> the problem remains:
>
>  %% pig.dtx
>  %% Copyright 2005 M. Y. Name
>  %
>  % This work may be distributed and/or modified under the
>  % conditions of the LaTeX Project Public License, either version 1.3
>  % of this license or (at your option) any later version.
>  % The latest version of this license is in
>  %   http://www.latex-project.org/lppl.txt
>  % and version 1.3 or later is part of all distributions of LaTeX
>  % version 2005/12/01 or later.
>
> The latest sentence is wrong, because 1.3a, 1.3b are not part
> of these LaTeX distributions and the user doesn't have the option
> to choose these licenses.

Do you also think it would be better to point the user towards www.latex-project.org/lppl/ instead?
How about a re-write of the above along the following lines:

 % This work may be distributed and/or modified under the
 % conditions of the LaTeX Project Public License, either version 1.3c
 % of this license or (at your option) any later version.
 % All versions of this license are available at
 %   http://www.latex-project.org/lppl/
 % and all distributions of LaTeX version 2005/12/01 or later contain
 % the latest version of the license at time of release.

Personally I'd just drop the last two lines, but I'm probably not being considerate of those without (convenient) internet access by saying so.

-- Will