From:
Vladimir Volovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 22:44:42 +0400
Hello,

I've misleaded you in my prev. letter:
when I get TeX error with inputenc, I get an undefined
control character, *not* an \IeC macro.
This happens probably because this character gets to the TOC
file translated, and when the TOC file is being read again,
then the character gets translated again. And since there
was no definition given tho that translated character, it defaults
to \undefined. [This is probably, but I'm not 100% sure].
But why this error does not happen for AUX files?
And why the second approach works correctly?

Probably, this could be solved by using definitions like

\DeclareInputText{"0F7}{\char130 }

instead of

\DeclareInputText{"0F7}{\CYRV}

(because the definitions of russian letters in Babel package
have the form \def\CYRV {^^82}).

Anyway, it would be good to add functionality to inputenc
package to declare character-to-character transliteration
like the one used in the second approach
(I mean a new macro like \DeclareInputCharacter).

--
With best regards,
                   Vladimir.