Mark Steinberger <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:12:53 -0400
> my *personal* feeling is that using dvi as the interchange file is
> pretty much doomed anyway.

With incompatible \specials, some expertise is needed to even be able to
exchange TeX source.

This complicates coauthorships, and even, to some extent, journal
submissions.

It also retards the knowledge growth of the average user, so the
sophistication of the materials authors place on the web suffers.

The end result is bad for the TeX community.

This is exactly the kind of problem the latex project has solved for
users of straight latex (without \specials). In the world of \specials,
we have the same kind of anarchy that existed for latex 2.09 macro
packages.

--Mark