Jonathan Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 May 2021 15:38:54 +0100
Hi

The topic for tomorrow's TeX Hour is bibliographies for beginners. We're
pleased to welcome Patrick Daly, author of the widely used natbib package.
He'll give us the history of natbib, and answer questions. The focus will
be on the Beginner experience.

The meeting is Thursday 29 April, 6:30 to 7:30pm UK time. The time now in
the UK is at https://www.google.com/search?q=uk+time. The zoom link for the
meeting is
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09

The TeX Hour has a monthly cycle for its topics.

First Thursday: Beginners
Second Thursday: Accessibility
Third Thursday: Conversion (eg LaTeX to PDF, LaTeX to HTML, markdown to
LaTeX)
Fourth Thursday: Durable Documents (same outputs give same input across
space and time)
Fifth Thursday: Experiments and Exploration.

We hope later in the month to have a more technical reference management
TeX Hour, either as Conversion or Durable Documents.

Last week's TeX Hour was Experiments and Exploration. As an experiment I
didn't record anything, and then afterwards myself, Arthur Ogawa and
Phillip Helbig stayed on for an extra 4 hours! So it was an after-hours
party of sorts. During that time Arthur and I had some conversations, which
we recorded. Mostly, they give a long view of the history of TeX.

Here's the links.

Fine: Authoring one paragraph at a time: https://youtu.be/xz2Kt_jSDTM
Fine + Ogawa: Accessibility is social issue, morality:
https://youtu.be/KLd0_U3_COc
Fine + Ogawa: Community looking forward: https://youtu.be/5toHf4OzTIg
Fine + Ogawa: LaTeX shapes blind reader user experience:
https://youtu.be/qsvspYOCXzQ
Fine: Since 1995 TeX community more isolated: https://youtu.be/vZsjAqHkOAU
Ogawa: Lamport, LaTeX and the TUG 1994 conference:
https://youtu.be/bxQoky7ckGE

with best regards

Jonathan