Sender:
From:
Timothy Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 15:13:31 +0000
On Sun, Dec 06, 1998 at 12:16:02PM +0100, Hans Aberg wrote:

> I used *ML as a collective term for those various ML's: Then a lot already
> use HTML, and this will be replaced XML if now Netscape and Microsoft and
> those will implement it on their WWW-browsers.

I find it curious that in all this discussion
it seems to be assumed that while everything else will be turned upside-down
Netscape and InternetExplorer will remain the only browsers in use,
understanding only HTML/XML.

It seems to me more likely that there will be dozens of browsers around,
many of which will have no difficulty displaying PDF, DVI, etc.

Consequently the "argument by browser" for *ML
seems to me entirely devoid of merit.
If there is an argument for MathML, OpenMath, etc
(and I can see that there is one, though I remain unpersuaded)
it will have to be based on more fundamental principles.

Ps If xdvi worked as advertised it would itself be a TeX browser.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: [log in to unmask]