Sender:
From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 17:09:31 +0000
>  > For the most part I think that it does not make sense for me to
>  > rely on a standard that is "owned" because I then have the concern
>  > that it could be changed in an unfair way.
>
> perhaps we could have an example of a "standard" that is not "owned";
> it is completely contradictory!!

i imagine <whoever it was[*]> was thinking of `standards' such as rtf
-- things that are specifically `owned' by a commercial organisation
(and, apparently, changed at that organisation's whim).

> ISO is "owned" by its members

who are national bodies, specifically required to represent the
interests of nation states.

(those are the `p'[articipating] and `o'[bserving] members: there are
also provisions for `l'[iaison] members, but they don't have -- can't
have -- votes.)

iso and iec and itu are parts of the united nations general setup...

[*] sorry, i've forgotten and deleted the mail