From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:07:25 +0000
David Carlisle writes:
 > > - What are the platforms that can compile TeX but cannot compile
 > >   Omega?
 > platforms for which you don't have the TeX source, or (probably)
 > if you only have a pascal compiler. Pretend I'm a Mac user and
 > tell me how to install an omega-only-latex on textures.

if you cared, you'd be moving to the new Maccy/Unixy OS anyway, where
web2c will compile. you just have to forget Textures.

 > > - Will things get harder or easier with Omega?
 > If it isn't easier to handle unicode in Omega than in standard TeX then
 > something is radically wrong with the world.

I have news for you, David.... the world has a lot wrong with it!

By the way, let's bear in mind that after 4 years of co-existence,
there is no sign at all of an Omega/pdfTeX merge. No-one has stepped
forward to claim they will even try it. Since I'd regard that as a
moderately easy task (in theory), it suggests to me that the starting
point (the ghashly mess called the Pascally Web code) is inimical to
future work. I know Thanh does not enjoy hacking it; I know John
Plaice hates it; yet here we still are. In theory, of course, we have
all the work put into NTS, but the assumption has to be that NTS is
black hole.

We all *talk*, but who amongst us is really able to put serious coding
time into all this? (I exclude, for instance, Javier working on
OmegaLaTeX).

Sebastian