Sender:
From:
Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:06:36 +0100
Sebastian Rahtz writes:
 >  >  > - How much of an advantage is pdftex compared to creating pdf via DVI?
 >  >  >   I have only done the latter without any problems, but of course it
 >  >  >   involves more file format conversions.
 >  >
 >
 > the classic example is link breaking. if you have a long bit of text
 > to make into a link, pdftex can break it into multiple links, amd
 > linebreak nicely. dvi-based methods just crawl away in despair and make
 > a long unbroken link. People do claim they could break links at the dvi
 > level, but I don't think anyone has actually done it

is that technically very different from providing, say, color support at dvi
level? i mean if i say \textcolor{red}{this text is in red} and my text gets
broken across the line by TeX all that TeX does is providing some \special at
the begin and end of this text (ie they fall onto two different
lines). Nevertheless dvips can color my text red.

so why can't i let TeX split the link and nevertheless communicate via
\specials to, say dvips what the unbroken link would be?

do i miss something?