Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:37:42 +0100
On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 08:51:00PM +0200, Frank Mittelbach wrote:

> + The Program changes from status `maintained' to `unmaintained' if the
> + Current Maintainer of the program cannot be reached through the
> + provided means of communication for a period of six months.

A couple of very amateur suggestions
(my impression is that one could spend several lifetimes
studying software licences, probably under Richard Stallman):

(1) TeX/LaTeX might to advantage adopt XML in several places,
eg in font descriptions,
and also here in package documentation -- something like

<author>
  <name>...</name>
  <email>...</email>
</author>
<maintainer>...</maintainer> (if different)
<documentor>...</documentor> (if different)
<date>...</date> (of creation)
<update>...</update> (last update)
<description>...</description> (short description)
<keywords>...</keywords>

A clever person could write a simple perl script
to garner the required information.

(2) The start of the 6 months in the above suggestion
seems a little vague.
If there were a more-or-less required "update"
one could set a period of say a year from this date.