Phillip Helbig <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 17:34:03 GMT
> I think it's very imporand that relates to this topic: people look at
> Lamport's book and say
> `but that doesn't do anything like my complex journal style'. when
> they look further, they are confronted with 1Gb of rubbish on CTAN,
> some of which conceals what they really want - maybe.

Anyone who is not a TeXpert who tries to solve a problem starting with
the knowledge that `the solution is somewhere in CTAN' is in for a lot
of work.  For instance, try installing TeX and MF from scratch from
CTAN.  The TeX on my system came from the VMS freeware CD, which was
very easy to install and has everything I need.

If progress is to be made on the journal article style, then it must be
painless to upgrade a site from 2.09 to 2e.  Perhaps something to the
VMS freeware CD solution could be (has been) done for other operating
systems as well?  I realise that there is redundancy if one has a
complete package for each OS, but surely disk space has increased since
CTAN began more than enough to compensate?

> i think we'd all benefit from a new articleplusplus.cls

Well, as a Fortran man, let's call it article97 or something similar:)

--
Phillip Helbig                          Email ... [log in to unmask]
Nuffield Radio Astronomy Laboratories   Tel. ..... +44 1477 571 321 (ext. 297)

My opinions are not necessarily those of NRAL or the University of Manchester.