From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 19:15:10 +0200
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
>... So I want to
>keep \include, thanks! In addition, having a single place in the
>master file with the \includeonly is much less error-prone for the
>editing than commenting and uncommenting a slew of \input lines.

  My idea is not that one should have to uncomment \input lines, but much
simpler, if a project \input's files file1.tex,...,fileN.tex, and just want
to compile fileK.tex, because that is what you are editing, then you first
compile the main project file once, to get the main aux file computed, and
then you typeset the file fileK.tex directly: The \project{main} command in
this file will tell it where to look for project aux information. If you
want several files to be \input'ed, then you write a special file for that
combination.

  So it is simpler than having to fiddle around with a \includeonly
command: You can have sequence of working constellations to work with,
without altering any file!

  I am not sure this idea contradicts the use of a \include command in a
similar way (built up around a single main aux file, and one for the
subcompilation).

  The only difference between \input and \include seems to be that the
latter have a special version of the \clearpage command that allows for
exact computation of references and page numbers in a subfile compile.
Perhaps one could build that onto \clearpage, so that \include becomes
equivalent to \clearpage\input (with the aux file structure described
above).

  Hans Aberg
                  * AMS member: Listing <http://www.ams.org/cml/>
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>