From:
"Joel C. Salomon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:30:03 -0400
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Frank Mittelbach
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Am 08.08.2012 19:34, schrieb Joel C. Salomon:
>
>> Is there a simple example somewhere of the use of l3doc’s \TestFiles,
>> \UnitTested, & \TestMissing commands? What sort of unit-tests are
>> these meant to document?
>>
>> (Or are these just meant to be dumb pointers to arbitrary kinds of
>> unit testing?)
>
> they are meant to document how much testing has been written in the
> regression test suite. The idea being that each interface function gets
> tested on standard and boundary cases (in the ./testfiles directories).
>
> but nothing scientific about really. It always depended on how well people
> wrote and write tests. Now at some point we did some attempt to sort out
> where we have tests and where we are still missing them.
>
> There is some support in the make file for this "make checktest"
>
> but we didn't quite got this properly going (yet)

And on Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Joseph Wright
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Frank has covered what the idea is here. To see the tests themselves,
> take a look at the GitHub site: the tests don't go to CTAN.

Thank you both. I'll have to see whether & how to adapt that model to
my own programming style.

And since there's nothing l3-specific going on, I can get tips on
writing effective unit tests elsewhere (read: on TeX.SX) without
distracting this list. ;-)

(There shouldn't be any funny interactions between l3doc and qstest, right?)

—Joel