Ulrike Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 1 Jun 2014 21:37:09 +0200
Am Sun, 1 Jun 2014 21:23:39 +0200 schrieb Frank Mittelbach:

>> This code breaks the float package if fixltx2e is loaded afterwards.
>> Which happens if one has the habit of loading packages alphabetically
>> and invoking fontspec which requires fixltx2e. By this, documents with
>> the header
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{float}
>> \usepackage{fixltx2e}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>>
>> will not compile anymore. Is this intended? Would it help or do any harm
>> if the float check would be added \AtBeginDocument?

> just checked: CTAN has the right file with version number 1.1q for
> fix-cm and that file doesn't have the extra rubbish inside any longer,
> so it looks like you still run the initial beta where the docstrip guard
> was missing

Arno wrote about fixltx2e and not fix-cm. And he is right: If loaded
after float fixltx2e overwrites the float definition of float:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{fixltx2e}
\begin{document}
\begin{figure}[H]
blub
\end{figure}

\end{document}

gives:
! LaTeX Error: Unknown float option `H'.

I run into a similar problem some days ago: If loaded after setspace
fixltx2e overwrite the setspace patches for floats.

Imho fixltx2e should be loaded like fix-cm before documentclass to
avoid such problems.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/