From:
Ulrich Dirr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2009 10:00:25 +0100
Hi,

> (As a final comment, I thought briefly whether it made sense to split
> this object type into three: "heading", "contents-entry", and "running-
> header-entry", but I couldn't see a good argument for it.)
>
> -- Will

I would like to see a better control for these three types. I often run in
'difficulties' when I need to separate what goes to the toc, the running
head, and the section title (if present).

Most of the time I have to use the titlesec/titletoc package to get what I
want but still have to adjust a lot.

Here is a small (incomplete) list:

1. When typesetting sectioning titles typesetting has to be manually
adjusted (e.g. telling where to break or special formatting). Which requires
adjustment of the running head and toc-entry.

2. Sometimes the sectioning title is so long that one needs a short form for
the running head only.

3. Sometimes the running head contains additional information that doesn't
come from a section title but doesn't go into the toc. This is also true for
dictionary-like headers.

4. As already mentioned not always should a section number go into the toc
of header.

5. Sometimes (I had an application in an omnibus volume) sectioning commands
in a big special chapter should not go into the tocą.

6. Sectioning commands should not only thought of in hierarchical order.
Some should have the same level but with different 'behavior' concerning the
toc or running head (the simpliest form in LaTeX2e is \section & \section*
but with unwanted side-effects).

7. The most problems I experience with informations that are going to the
toc.
7.1 Problems with special formatting in the title
7.2 Special formatting that should only go into the toc (from simple things
like \addtocontents{toc}{\protect\vspace{\baselineskip}} or page breaks to
more complicated things)
7.3 A general interface for better controlling the appearance/typesetting of
the toc. One or two columns -- even mixed (e.g. chapters centered, sections
in two+ column format). Running paragraphs for sections or subsections with
special formatting plus controlling the typesetting (e.g. line breaks,
paragraph format) ...

Best regards,
Ulrich

1. This was a chapter collecting a lot historical information in a
chronological order. The chapter itself has a lot of pages but isn't of very
high importance comparing to other chapters in the book. When all sectioning
information would go into the toc this chapter would become too 'prominent'.