Heiko Oberdiek <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:20:36 +0200
On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:16:46AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > Package inputenc translates the input characters that it controls
> > into TeX code: ^^b9 becomes:
> >   \show^^b9
> >   ->\IeC {\i }
> > Actually 4 tokens instead of one ^^b9 token.
>
> It is fairly easy to catch this case while the accent macro is looking
> for its argument -- I just wonder why it is missing...

* You want to change *every* makro and TeX construct that can have
  inputenc character as argument?
  \', \", \textbf, \textsc, _, ...
* UTF-8: The editor will display *one* character, but the
  representation can consist of several bytes.

Thus the save way is not to omit the argument braces around
active characters or macros (especially in dangerous situations
such as moving arguments).

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <[log in to unmask]>