Sender:
From:
Uwe Lück <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:04:59 +0100
At 22:59 25.03.05, David Kastrup wrote:

>If you are hooking into the output routine, it might make sense to
>have \holdinginserts=10035 (or so), some special output penalty
>associated with the output routine hook.  That convention leaves one
>less possibility for collision if ids.

I would like to support this idea or this kind of ideas.
At present, Stephan Boettcher's lineno.sty is (to my knowledge) the
only CTAN package that uses \holdinginserts. It toggles between 3
and -3 as long as it is "active", i.e., when code is processed in "line
numbering mode". The idea of this seems to be: lineno.sty defines
a new output routine which is just what is called by everything that
calls \output (attention: "\output" changes in lineno.sty, due to Frank
Mittelbach). This output routine must be able to detect whether it
was called from "line numbering mode" or from some "usual" use of
LaTeX. (... well, it should be possible to help with this without
\holdinginserts.)

I thought of coding the package's name into \holdinginserts values :-)

-- Many Easter 000s, Uwe Lueck.