Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:20:11 +0100
Hi Karl

Looking at this from your viewpoint: how do you (or others) want to use
such a list?

I can think of many reasons, including some of my own activities.

The next question will be (and is what I am researching in my context):

  what type of list would be the best fit-to-purpose?

My major context is the need to have a reference standard (or standards)
for (a subset of) 'standard LaTeX', together with a rationale, that
non-LaTeX consumers of 'LaTeX documents' can refer to in describing their
capabilities (to people or to other software).

chris
-----Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project
<[log in to unmask]> wrote: -----

To: [log in to unmask]
From: Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project
Date: 24/04/2009 08:21
Subject: Re: list of latex2e control sequences?

Karl,

 > Excuse this seemingly obvious question, but I could not find the answer.
 > Does a list of official/core latex2e control sequences exist?  If not,
 > can it be generated from the sources somehow?  Help?

what do you define as a "core latex2e control sequence"?

one answer to you is yes:

 - source2e typesets the whole kernel and enerates an index for you
   containing
   all commands used in the kernel

but is this your definition of core you are looking for? Probably not.

 - classes.dtx etc define additional commands
 - some internal commands wouldn't be core depending on definition
 - ...

so this might need some better spec

The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302)