Joachim Schrod <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 9 Feb 1997 14:30:23 +0100

FM> Ernst Molitor writes:
>> just a few days ago, I came across the xindy package written by
>> Roger Kehr and available at
>>
>> ftp.th-darmstadt.de/pub/tex/src/xindy/...
>>
>> While I haven't really used xindy until now, from reading the docs,
>> it seems to offer a very sound and well-designed solution to many
>> (maybe even next to all) problems of index generation. It's a
>> stand-alone program aiming at generating indexes for a number of
>> different types of documents, among them, of course, those written
>> in TeX or LaTeX, Is this, by chance, the system that you mention in
>> your posting as the one that Joachim Schrod is involved in?

Yes, it is. Roger, a former student and friend of mine, took my
concepts and implemented it as a student project I supervised. We can
currently not envision many demands that are not handled by the system
-- it was not written as a ad-hoc solution (i.e., it's not yet another
index program) but is founded on a thorough analysis of the process of
index processing.

On the Web, xindy lives at
http://www.iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de/xindy/, currently the
documents there are aimed at index style file developers. User
documentation has been written and is currently been proofread, it
will be sliced in over the next weekend.

xindy will be released/presented officially at the DANTE meeting at
the end of February. Then it will have found it's way to CTAN, too,
and will be announced on the usual lists. Papers about the
theoretical analysis will be submitted to archival journals, first
technical reports are already written and will be made available on
the Web site.

Cheers,
        Joachim

Joachim Schrod                                  Email: [log in to unmask]
Net & Publication Consultance                   Tel.:  +49-6074-861530
Roedermark, Germany                             Fax:   +49-6074-861531