From:
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:52:44 +0200
Javier,

 > I dream about that. Multilingual support for a dual TeX/Omega
 > LaTeX could be a mess to users and developpers. But I'm
 > just dreaming, since the LaTeX team has said in this list that
 > LaTeX3 will be a dual system.

the "LaTeX team" hasn't said anything like this on this list. If you are
refering to Robin's comments then please take them as Robin's comments,
period.  If it is not possible for project team members to voice their opinion
on something without it being viewed as CARVED IN CONCRETE AS PROJECT
DIRECTIVES then there is no chance whatesoever to have any discussion on
anything at all.

 > >> So, is it reasonable to assume that the LaTeX3
 > >> will be actually an Omega format?

my answer to this would be different:

   possibly or even likely, if certain criteria are met.

Chris and I had a very fruitful and long session with Yannis and John earlier
this year about the possibibility of basing a LaTeX successor solemnly on an
Omega successor. Note the word "successor" being used twice.

In my opinion there are many reasons why the current Omega is not suitable but
there are good possibilities to make it suitable. Whether this is actually
going to happen remains to be seen; John and Yannis intends to work
extensively on the areas we identified as needing changes or additions. Then
there is also one very important aspect which is: stability and maintenance
--- not a very easy subject.

 > I think exactly the opposite -- Omega will give live to LaTeX while
 > "old" TeX will be a burden.

i agree with you here, but only if Omega changes to a more "stable and final"
product, something which, for good reasons, it currently isn't. I really hope
that this is going to happen since IMHO Omega is the only successor of TeX
that has a good chance to replace it.

Originally I had hoped to spend a good proportion of my time this year and
early next year on exactly this task, eg finalizing what I would expect a
frozen Omega successor to look like and to contain as features. Unfortunately
my wife got seriously ill and I don't expect to be able to do much on
TeX/Omega/LaTeX for a longer period at all. So I don't know what's going to
happen, certainly not much if it depends on my doing it.