Sender:
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2011 14:26:53 +0100
From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
On 16/10/2011 02:55, Bruno Le Floch wrote:
> I've been trying to make the change. The end-user interface is not
> changed, but since booleans become weird beasts (rather than the
> simple 0/1 switch), they are pretty much impossible to manipulate
> before the machinery is setup. The problem is then that expl3 and
> l3bootstrap need to manipulate \l_expl_status_bool very early on. I
> haven't found a clean way to resolve this issue yet, so I'm a bit
> stuck.

This should be doable. The reason for the somewhat complex set up in
l3bootstrap is that I was aiming for functions which will be defined in
a way consistent with the later code. I'm sure this can be done even if
there is a change of approach: it's just a question of being inventive :-)

> At the end of the day, Church booleans have a definite practical
> advantage, with non-expandable conditionals in \bool_if:nTF. I'm
> starting to dislike them, though, from an aestetic point of view,
> because \char"1 looks nicer than "\marker { \use_i:nn }" (with
> braces).

Yes, that slightly bothers me too. However, it's not like most people
need to worry about this most of the time.