Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 22:25:22 +0100
From: Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
On 18/06/2014 18:39, Élie Roux wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> First I'm sorry for two things:
>  - my vast ignorance of the LaTeX3 project (though I'm a subscriber of
> this list for a few years)

I doubt you are the only person who only skims the 'LaTeX spam' lightly
(if at all) :-)

> In l3luatex, you make use of Heiko's luatex.sty. I don't think it's the
> wisest choice: the package luatexbase
> (https://github.com/lualatex/luatexbase) is more often updated, and the
> reason why there are two packages doing the same thing is because Heiko
> is not responding to mails (at least to ours) for more than a year...

No changes is not necessarily a bad thing (stability and all that), but
I see your point.

> The last changes in Heiko's files regarding LuaTeX were even made in
> TeXLive by me in order not to break all LuaLaTeX documents.
>
> Maybe Heiko will answer one day and the merge between luatex.sty and
> luatexbase.sty will happen, but in the meantime would you give a try to
> luatexbase.sty?

The reason we've currently removed l3luatex from expl3 (and indeed from
the CTAN release part of the LaTeX3 repository) is because we've got
concerns about both LaTeX3 (expl3) and LaTeX2e interactions with 'newer'
engines (XeTeX/LuaTeX).

The LaTeX2e situation is complex, but for expl3 things are a bit easier
as we are talking 'LaTeX3 in 2e' and can put off some issues 'for the
moment'. We've very deliberately cut down on loading third-party
packages as part of expl3: etex.sty is now the only one as standard, and
there are good reasons for that (core register allocation can't be put
off). Clearly there is a need to address the entire business of
essentially required changes to the LaTeX2e kernel for using
XeTeX/LuaTeX, and that impacts on expl3 in the current 'l3in2e' form.