Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:43:41 +0200
At 16:40 +0200 2001/06/11, Lars Hellström wrote:
>>A localization may involve the choice of a human language, but also the
>>other data, like date and number formats, etc.
>
>No. A localization refers to a change in the interface between user and
>program, not a change in how the program processes data (once it has been
>interpreted). A localization of LaTeX to e.g. Swedish would rather mean
>that input could look like
>
>   \dokumentklass{artikel}
>   \börja{dokument}
>   \titel{Gnuer}
>
>and error messages would be given in Swedish, not that the default language
>would be Swedish.

There are no such requirements in current usage: For example, C++ supports
localized components within programs.

C++ also uses the name "locale", not "localization", which is perhaps a
better name (shorter). Another variation is "locality".

Or someone come up with a better name that somehow indicates an indicative
property of the defined contexts we are discussing.

  Hans Aberg