Sender:
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:12:21 +0000
From:
Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Apologies to those who get this message twice.

I am attaching below a draft of the preliminary brief announcement
that is to be circulated more widely sometime very soon.  Please feel
free to comment on its clarity/usefulness, but remember that it is
supposed to be brief!

A fuller version will also be published as soon as possible,
containing, for example:

-- more about e-TeX and other executables that provide these
   extensions (e-pdftex e-omega ...);

-- more on the reasons for the changes;

-- more `HOW-TO's;

-- more about _possible_ futures, timings etc.

Many thanks

chris

From The LaTeX3 Team: maintainers of Standard LaTeX.

LaTeX and e-TeX
[Here, e-TeX means: e-TeX V 2 (but excluding the bi-directional TeX--XeT
   extensions provided by the e-TeX software).]

Preamble

-- There is a demand from current LaTeX2e package writers to use e-TeX
   features.

-- Although e-TeX does not provide a lot of new features that can be
   directly used in documents, it does make a lot of LaTeX programming
   more robust, both directly and by supporting better and more
   efficient code production.

-- For existing TeX documents, there are no incompatibilities between
   e-TeX and TeX.

We are therefore announcing the following plans, which will be
implemented during 2003:

-- Although we have decided not to rewrite the 2e kernel to take
   advantage of features provided by e-TeX, we may provide packages
   that make use of e-TeX when it is available.

-- We shall produce experimental packages that require the use of
   e-TeX (not including the TeX--XeT extensions).

-- We wish to encourage package writers to use the features of e-TeX
   wherever it is appropriate to do so.

We are therefore encouraging all TeX distributions (as soon as
possible and certainly by 2004):

-- to include an executable that provides the e-TeX features;

-- to use this executable when making and running the LaTeX format;
   and/or to provide a configurable and straightforward way for a user
   to make the change to using such an `e-TeX compliant' executable.