From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 19:11:20 +0100
At 09:45 -0500 2001/02/09, Boris Veytsman wrote:
>..I think that in the tradition of old school there
>should be difference between '3's in the phrase
>        In Chapter~3 we will show that $\pi>3$.
>The first '3' should be in old-style, the second---in math
>style.

Expressions like "Chapter~3" should be output using special commands,
preferably using a label \chapter{foo-bar}, or whatever, so that they both
are referenced correctly, and the typography is consistent from place to
place.

As for the style of the "3", how its typography is affected by the
environment it is in, is a tricky question -- clearly also the math
typesetting is affected by say the point-size of the environment it is in.
The one providing the rendering style have many different possibilities to
choose from.

But it does not in itself affect the principle of putting the 3 in a
special, non-(natural-language-)text environment:

Even if you sometimes want a number to be typeset exactly as in the
surrounding text environment, one can view that as a special type of math
environment.

At 12:14 +0000 2001/02/09, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>not to mention telephone numbers

Similarly, telephone numbers should probably have their own environment (or
command), making sure the typesetting is consistent. Instead of say
+1-202-7897000, one should type say \phone{1}{202}{7897000}, or
\phone{US}{DC}{7897000}, or something, and then let the style selection
provide the correct output.

Again, the numbers do not become a part of the natural language text
environment.

  Hans Aberg