Sender:
From:
Jonathan Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2021 13:56:43 +0100
Dear LaTeX developers

on research into math accessibility.

I intend at this Thursday's zoom TeX Hour to explore the multi-year LaTeX
project to fully and naturally support the creation of structured
documents. I'll focus on how this project relates to improving blind access
to math prior to the completion of your project. As you know, there's
already much prior and continuing work in this area.

For clarity, my focus on Thursday is to relate this work to the LaTeX
project's dependency on research into tagging mathematics. Through previous
TeX Hours and otherwise I've had contact with experts in accessibility of
mathematics, and conversations with blind readers of mathematics and
computer programmers.

I hope some members and supporters of the LaTeX project can come to this
TeX Hour on math accessibility. I appreciate that this is short notice. I'm
happy to reschedule, if this would improve attendance. And if not, video
will be available afterwards.

At this point I'm hoping only for preliminary discussions. A prompt
expression of interest or otherwise in having this discussion would be most
helpful. I don't expect to solve all problems in one meeting, so they'll
surely be further events and opportunities.

with best regards

Jonathan