David Kastrup <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:48:59 +0100
Hi folks,

currently involved with programming a footnote package, I was trying
to get a clue about just when to insert \color@begingroup and
\color@endgroup and reached the conclusion: forget it.  If a footnote
is broken across several pages, we will get all hell break loose,
anyhow.

The current implementation works basically by protecting headlines
and stuff within a closed color stack from the bleeding of any main
material text into them, but this is all rather shaky.

So either we need separate color stacks in the output drivers which
we can switch between (probably not the worst idea: technically
a rather clean solution), or we need to use a marks mechanism for
keeping track of the color stack state whenever things get split.

Is there any intention of getting either solution into the main
LaTeX, or should I rather shoot for an island solution within
bigfoot.sty eventually?  After all, there are probably not so many
entities that actually cross page boundaries.