From:
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 14:53:45 +0200
Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard writes:
 > Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard a écrit :
 > > (Of course the l3 news are a
 > > good point in this direction.)
 > >
 > Btw, the footer reads "all rights reserved". Do you allow me to publish a French
 > translation of the news on either my blog or a few french-speaking TeX mailing
 > lists or Usenet groups (with full credits and a link to the original content, of
 > course)? Some people in the French part of the TeX world could be interested in
 > their content, but are sometimes reluctant (or even unable) to read
 > English.

Manuel

to my knowledge copyright (at least American version) exists regardless of
whether or not you explicit state it with the execption of something been
explicitly released to the public domain. Even something like the FDL doesn't
remove the copyright it only license the work in a way that it can be easily
reused. In that respect the footer only states what is the case anyway if
there would be no footer at all.

The purpose of it is that we do indeed want to know about reuse and
especially translations as they may be taken as statements from the L3 team
even if their content has been modified or missrepresented (and the latter is
something we wouldn't want).

So in short I don't have any objection to a translation of the l3news
documents (in fact I would welcome it) if they are intended to be faithful to
the content but I would ask you to include a statement that they are
translations from the original done by you and give a pointer to the original
document on the project website.

regards