Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:06:49 +0200
From: Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Apostolos Syropoulos writes:

 > Omega is definetely a step forward, but at the same time pdfTeX is a step
 > forward. So I believe that the Omega team must consider incorporate
 > the ability to generate PDF files in future releases of the system.

people are in disagreement about this. it is certainly true that it is a major
step forward now, but can it stay ahead or is the pdf quality it is producing
declining after a while?

anyway, one of the points in our specs was to have a very very close look into
checking if incorporating pdftex features is the right way to go.

and in case anybody wants to remark on eTeX .... yes that too had some very
important ideas either build or at least speced out (there are some notes on
etex/latex3 project meetings on our web site) and again there are a number of
items that we are arguing for inclusion into an  Omega successor

 > PS And of course since I don't believe that a team of two people can
 > do all these things, I definetely believe that the team must be expanded!

i'm not so worried about that (the german saying "is too many cooks will spoil
the porridge") and i doubt that Omega would be where it is now had it been
built (or probably then rather not built) by a bigger team --- just look at
any other good programs around and you will find that typically there are not
many key people behind it originally.

but i'm far more worried about the needed support afterwards if you want it to
be stable and used by millions --- TeX has that sort of for free as it is
virtually bug free but that will not be true for an Omega successor