Sender:
From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:07:25 +0100
J.Fine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I've added a new slide (page 6)
>     Achievements of LATEX (the first fifteen years)

damning by faint praise.

> By the way, when I pasted this title from the slide to this email, the
> two 'fi' ligatures were transferred as page breaks!

probably latex's fault.

> Here's the URL for the EuroTeX talk:
> <http://mathtran.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mathtran/trunk/docs/mainstream_tex/eurotex2009.pdf>

i agree (with whichever of my colleagues it was) about the odd nature of
your comparison of latex 3 with plain tex.

what is it you have against numeric arguments?  i've never bothered
about it until the last weekend when i came across your complaints while
catching up with my mail.

> (Martin: Thank you for sending me off-list a definition for the XeTeX
> logo.  I found it ugly (the strong symmetry I found distracting), so I
> commented it out of the source.  I might change my mind about it
> later.)

i don't like it either; i suggested to jonathan kew that it ought to be
possible to do better, but he reckons it's no more changeable than the
ghastly tex and latex logos.

> Further comments are welcome!

you might try spelling nicola's name right -- i read it as a masculine
name before i realised who you're talking about.  the fact is that there
are myriad latex guides, tutorials and the like, on the web.  that you
can only think of a couple that are missing is pretty remarkable, imo.

i must get back to my latex-leaning documentation work...

it would be nice to find people with the skills and the money to build
something as good as context-garden, for latex.  beyond me, for sure :-(

robin