Tue, 20 Jan 2009 23:47:32 +0100
Dear VAFA KHALIGHI

 > Thanks for your answers. I will write a document and send it to you very
 > soon explaining the Persian typesetting needs but it might take a while
 > since I do not have much time these days.

that's unfortunately something we all share these days I guess.

 > I actually before emailing the LaTeX list, researched a lot and talked to
 > different people and we all believe that we should have a separate format of
 > LaTeX at least in 2e version.

it will be interesting to understand the rationale behind this. I'm not saying
you're wrong, it is just that I don't see a spinoff giving you any
additional benefits these days. Reasons in the past have been things like
preloaded fonts and those shouldn't apply  today I would think.

 > I also wrote the xepersian package which you
 > can find in CTAN. Let me clarify that my work is going to replace the other
 > packages and systems providing Persian typesetting in TeX. Also please note
 > that farsitex is a dead project and it is based on latex2.09 not latex 2e,

yes, I noticed that following the link that Joseph supplied, that looks like a
dead end I agree.

 > so the main aim here is to write something which works with latex2e. I also
 > agree that having a seperate latex format is difficult and time consuming
 > but I have so much passion about Persian typesetting in LaTeX that will put
 > all my energy for it. Also Polish and another language (which I do not
 > remember) format of latex are avaliable.

I'm not sure there are such formats these days. There might be special
distributions that package stuff otherwise not bundled with TeX/LaTeX
normally, but different formats? But even if, the question remains what you
gain.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learn more about language needs for Persian
(and other languages) that so far admittedly have been neglected (in parts
because the developers within LaTeX didn't understand them

best