From:
David Kastrup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 10:49:42 +0100
        Martin Schroeder <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> On 2003-01-04 13:57:55 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> > The format/executable combination that distribution vendors are to use
> > for the executables named `latex' and `pdflatex' is to be eTeX,
> > respectively PDFeTeX.  For those that want to test out compatibility
>
> I doubt that this will happen for LaTeX, as this is very frozen
> now. LaTeX3 will run on Omega, and Omega will incorporate the
> best of eTeX. :-)

I am not talking about what will happen in 10 years of time.  I am
talking about what is crippling LaTeX development right now.  In
contrast to a change to Omega, a change to e-TeX will not disturb any
existing styles and operation.  e-TeX is stable and has been available
for years.  Omega isn't stable, isn't documented properly and still
in constant flux.