Sender:
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2021 19:44:44 +0100
From:
Jonathan Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Hi

help and documentation. LaTeX

Date and time: Thursday 2 September, 6.30 to 7.30pm UK time.
UK time now: https://time.is/UK.
Zoom URL:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09

OVERVIEW
I'd like our community to develop online tools to help LaTeX authors,
particularly beginners. Here's an example. It's easy to make a syntax error
when writing a LaTeX document. And then you get a TeX error, perhaps
unconnected with your error. I'd like to see an online LaTeX syntax
checker, that's linked to a help system.

Searching for https://www.google.com/search?q=json+syntax+checker
immediately gives about 20 online JSON checkers. However, a similar search
for LaTeX doesn't give similar results. I think there's a big gap here.

HTML has https://www.w3schools.com/, which allows you to start learning
immediately. For comparison look at https://www.learnlatex.org/en/.

That's my gripe. I'd like to hear yours, and discuss what we could do to
improve interactive online help and documentation for LaTeX users,
particularly beginners.

INVITE
You're invited to tomorrow's TeX Hour: Interactive online help.