From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2011 21:36:28 +0930
On 04/05/2011, at 9:02 PM, Philipp Stephani wrote:

> coming from a comment in the question http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/17265, I wonder what the policy of the LaTeX project is concerning packages that work only under pdfTeX or make some assumptions that are not valid in the newer engines. Is it intended that such necessary fixes will be included in the packages or in the kernel, or will the fixes have to be provided in separate packages?

Speaking for myself, I guess it largely depends. We've spoken here before about adding a switch to deactivate inputenc in XeLaTeX/LuaLaTeX but no proposals ever got off the ground. As for amsmath, that's still maintained by the AMS, and I believe they're currently working on an update to that at the moment -- it would be best to contact them directly. (I'm not sure who the best contact there would be.)

Cheers,
-- Will