From:
Eric Brunet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:15:35 +0100
jbezos wrote:
> Not at all. In latin1, character in the range 130--159
> are assigned to control characters (and hence

I wouldn't say it like that: the 128--159 range is reserved so that if
some document pass through a buggy programm that strips the eight bit,
then the resulting document doesn't have any extra control characters (in
the 0--31 range) with some ``interesting'' properties.
> they are not free), and Unix editors may
> use them.
No, they may not use it in a text file, as they are not text characters.
On the other hand, all the text editors I know are perfectly able to
handle binary files, or meaningless characters in a text file. If someone
runs any editor I know of on an ansinew file, he will some strange codes
in lieu of the ansinew characters, and that would be it. Do you know of
any editor which misbehaves ? And finally, the important think is that
LaTeX would get the document right (which it would).

>           Further, a character in the ASCII
> range (I have not the tables at hands, but IIRC is
> right single quote) has been reassigned in ansinew.

$ diff ansinew.def latin1.def| grep DeclareInputText
< \DeclareInputText{130}{\quotesinglbase}
< \DeclareInputText{131}{\textflorin}
< \DeclareInputText{132}{\quotedblbase}
< \DeclareInputText{133}{\dots}
< \DeclareInputText{134}{\dag}
< \DeclareInputText{135}{\ddag}
< \DeclareInputText{136}{\^{}}
< \DeclareInputText{137}{\textperthousand}
< \DeclareInputText{138}{\v S}
< \DeclareInputText{139}{\guilsinglleft}
< \DeclareInputText{140}{\OE}
< \DeclareInputText{145}{\textquoteleft}
< \DeclareInputText{146}{\textquoteright}
< \DeclareInputText{147}{\textquotedblleft}
< \DeclareInputText{148}{\textquotedblright}
< \DeclareInputText{149}{\textbullet}
< \DeclareInputText{150}{\textendash}
< \DeclareInputText{151}{\textemdash}
< \DeclareInputText{152}{\~{}}
< \DeclareInputText{153}{\texttrademark}
< \DeclareInputText{154}{\v s}
< \DeclareInputText{155}{\guilsinglright}
< \DeclareInputText{156}{\oe}
< \DeclareInputText{159}{\"Y}

well, it doesn't show in the def file. IIRC, the story is that the ascii
single quote character looks vertical in windows fonts, and so people
prefer (incorrectly) to use the character 146 as an apostrophe.

Éric