David Carlisle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:07:42 GMT
> > - The biggest mess of all is the front matter.  I remember this has
> >   been discussed before on this list.  Did anything ever result from
> >   that discussion?

> Yes, we should get back to that and away from the loftier stuff!

There are plans (only plans) to have some new classes next year in
addition to the current article/report/book that will have some new
features, one of which would be an improved frontmatter interface.

There are of course existing extended frontmatter interfaces in many of
the publishers journal class files (eg Elsevier and AMS).

I wrote one for the London Mathematical society last year.
which has some extended commands to deal with multiple authors.
ftp://ftp.lms.ac.uk/pub/jcm/latex/

A much sterner test for a new frontmatter interface would be revtex as
that is not just for a single journal, one needs an interface that can
cope with several different typograpic styles, and ordering arrangemens,
and cope with a community of authors who go in for bizarre practices
like having a 200 author author-list that is probably longer than the
document text. I think it is no secret that a revtex latex2e interface
has been under development. Unfortunately the author (who will remain
nameless but once lived in Manchester, and has spent the year slowly
moving towards Oxford) found himself short of time to work on tex
projects and it has been delayed. However probably it could soon be got
out at least for test purposes....

David