Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:51:45 +0100
Robin Fairbairns wrote --

> but even if xml _does_ take over, there are going to be people wanting
> advice on how to use xml tools to produce an acceptable visual
> result.  these things _won't_ be well-enough documented (at least, the
> versions the researchers can afford), any more than latex is now.

I shall refrain from commenting on the documentation issue:-).

But I agree that, whatever the mark-up language and whether we do ever
develop a usable language to specify complex formatting and support
high-quality typography, the authors' questions are likely to remain
very similar.

But I would like to be able to improve what is available, in bothe
lanaguages and, more usefully, improved software that fully supports
them, so that the answer does not so often have to be, "well, don't
do that then".

chris