Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:03:27 +0000
Timothy Murphy wrote --
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 10:17:46AM +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>
> > TeX, per se, failed in its attempt to take over the world.
>
> Did Knuth ever intend to "take over the world"?

He did not.  Neither did any other knowledgable individual I ever met.

> In the Introduction to the TeXbook Knuth says that TeX was intended
> "especially for books that contain a lot of mathematics".
>
> In this area TeX _has_ taken over the world,

Even more eternally, it is the unique public de facto archival and
communication language for research activity in a range of disciplines
around mathematics ... and in this sense it is growing in importance
even now.

But this has very little to do with TeX the program or LaTeX as it is
being discussed here.

chris