Timothy Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:23:42 +0100
On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:20:07PM -0400, Boris Veytsman wrote:

> > > 2. The state of TeX/LaTeX in Debian is high on the priority list for
> > >    many LaTeX users I know, and very high for many system admins that
> > >    support LaTeX on their machines.
> >
> > I find this very hard to believe.
> >
> > I have read thousands of postings about LaTeX,
> > attended many TeX/LaTeX meetings,
> > and do not recall ever hearing or seeing the word Debian in that context.
> Maybe this is exactly because Debian/LaTeX 'just works', and there are
> no Debian-specific bugs now? If you do not see newspaper articles
> about the quality of tap water, it does not mean that this quality is
> unmportant. It might mean that the waterways work fine.

Actually, many posters (to comp.text.tex) with queries --
"how do I get bold beta in maths?" --
say what OS distribution they are running,
as well as the version of TeX/teTeX, etc,
in case that is relevant.

The majority of such postings specify RedHat,
though a suprising (to me) number give SuSe.
Various versions of Windows probably come next.
I don't recall seeing any mention of Debian,
though I am sure there must have been a few.

I deduce from this only a small minority of LaTeX users
are running under Debian,
and I assume that only a small minority of this small minority
are interested in licensing issues.

That is why I doubt if many LaTeX users are passionately concerned
about this issue.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: [log in to unmask]