From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:13:54 +0100
please don't use this list for operational matters: it's intended for
discussion of the future development of latex.

> Are there instructions anywhere as to how to add new packages to a
> tex/latex installation? I've looked for the local guide in my system and
> haven't been able to find it

it all depends on the implementation of tex you have installed.  most
modern ones for un*x or windoze systems maintain a file name database,
but there are commercial and shareware versions whose details i don't
know.

the basic idea is you put the file somewhere that `obviously' matches
similar files already on the systme.

un*x tex systems typically have a command texhash (or mktexlsr), and
aiui windoze systems have some menu entry, that updates the filename
database, and the new stuff thereby gets found.

for further details consult the usenet group comp.text.tex

Robin Fairbairns

For the LaTeX Team